Cambridge, MA - Massachusetts, United States
Are you looking for a rewarding career in a market-leading and innovative company?
Seqirus is the new global company created from the combined strength and expertise of bioCSL and the influenza vaccines business formerly owned by Novartis. In July 2015, bioCSL and the influenza vaccines of Novartis joined forces to create Seqirus, now the second largest influenza vaccine company in the world. With extensive research and production expertise and manufacturing plants in the US, UK, Germany and Australia, Seqirus is a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally. Seqirus has a workforce of over 2,000 employees, significant manufacturing capacity and a commercial presence in 20 countries.
Currently for our office in Cambridge (USA), we are looking for a Head of Formulation and Delivery
This Head of Formulation and Delivery is responsible for developing global strategy, planning, and evaluating projects in the field of Formulation and Delivery research and evaluate projects within Seqirus and external opportunities. The F&D Head will manage the F&D group and be a member of the Research Leadership Team with control of the F&D budget. This position will serve on cross-functional teams (e.g. CPTs) to provide scientific input on core projects both pre- and post-Stage Gate 2. The Head will directly manage external research formulation and delivery studies.
1. Develop detailed scientific strategy for research activities applying to both global cross-functional projects and local activities
Present plan at relevant forums to receive cross-functional approval where needed
Contribute to the RRC to scientifically evaluate all pre-Stage Gate 2 approved projects
Contribute to TRB through scientific evaluation of projects under TRB purview
Within Research contribute to Research Leadership Team group planning
2. Build and manage a world class Formulation and Delivery group and oversee F and D budget
Oversee day to day activities
Plan experiments with team and analyze results in context of overall project
Assure organization is compliant with policies and group continues development
Generate and support generation of IP for core projects
Provide support for TD Drug Product and Formulation as needed
3. Evaluate external opportunities and design experimental plan as needed to demonstrate value
Identify opportunities by being an active member of the external scientific community
Review opportunities as provided to Research by other functions or external groups
Foster external partnerships through academic and industrial networks
4. Lead scientific interactions with external stakeholders to ensure world class scientific recognition and scientific support of internal programs
Support pandemic activities for BARDA and CDC with scientific input and leadership
Actively publish high quality publications
5. Global involvement in setting strategy in cross-functional teams with local management responsibility for the Immunology group. Responsibility for Immunology budget.
6. Decision making and ability to prioritize staging of projects in the global context both in policy and science is essential for this position.
7. Essential role in innovating in Research projects and technical/strategic aspects of core projects. Critical thinking and identification of complex situations and information is key.
Scope of the Role:
This role will have a direct impact on pre-stage gate 2 projects and evaluation/incorporation of external opportunities. This role will have global cross-functional influence on core projects in different functions (e.g. TD, Clinical, etc.).
Internal – CPT Project Managers, Head of IP, Head of Research, Head of Technical Development, Manufacturing Leads, CSL Behring colleagues, Head of Project ManagementExternal –NIBSC, CBER, NIAID, companies with new technologies.
PhD or equivalent in Medical Field
Minimum 7 years of experience in Formulation and Delivery field post Doctoral degree with minimum 3 years in industry.
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies: