Doha, Qatar, Qatar
About the Division
The Insurance Supervision unit of the Supervision and Authorisation Division is responsible for developing and implementing programmes for the ongoing supervision of Regulatory Authority authorised institutions. The Regulatory Authority undertakes a risk-based approach to supervision that enables it to focus on issues most likely to impact on its objectives and to allow for a more efficient use of its resources. The Division maintains regular contact with the industry to ensure a timely and useful flow of information between the Regulatory Authority and the institutions it supervises. It does this to assist in ensuring the early identification and mitigation of risks to the Regulatory Authority's objectives, and to ensure that its supervisory programmes continue to be appropriate to the different financial sectors supervised and to the characteristics of any particular institution.
The Associate Director, Insurance Supervision, will work with the Director of Insurance and others in the Regulatory Authority to implement supervisory risk identification and mitigation programmes in respect of authorised insurance institutions (life and non-life insurers), reinsurers and intermediaries. He/she will produce risk-focused supervisory work programmes utilising an appropriate range of supervisory tools (to address matters including assessing the fitness and propriety of individuals performing Controlled Functions, event-driven work, and reviews of authorised insurance institutions).
• Identify risks to regulatory objectives and effectively manage the implementation of supervisory risk
identification and mitigation programmes in respect of authorised insurance institutions (including
(re)insurers and intermediaries);
• Ensure that the ongoing supervision of the assigned portfolio of insurance institutions is handled
efficiently and that strong constructive relationships are developed with the senior management of
• Establish a pro-active, risk based supervisory approach to the mitigation of risks;
• Be alert to issues that require escalation and ensure the timely flow of management information
within the Regulatory Authority;
• Work closely with other Divisions to resolve issues arising from the insurance institutions he/she
• Present recommendations in respect of supervision issues and policy matters to the Director of
Insurance for the onward submission to the Managing Director of the Supervision and Authorisation Division;
• Work closely with other Divisions to ensure that the Regulatory Authority remains at the forefront
of regulatory developments, and input into the development of new policies and supervisory
• Manage, any Senior Associates assigned to him/her ensuring proper work allocation and
supervision, and where necessary ensure that the skills and experience of any subordinates are appropriately developed.
Skills & Experience
7+ years relevant experience of authorising and/or supervising reinsurers and insurers with commercial and retail operations (general and life business);
Experience of supervision of Takaful entities, intermediaries and financial advisers would be an advantage;
Graduate or post graduate qualifications in insurance, legal or accounting from recognised institutes or professional bodies;
Ability to perform detailed analytical work using accounting information and prudential returns; Strong personal skills — people management, self-motivation, team player;
Strong verbal and written communication skills (especially report writing); and
Knowledge of the region would be an advantage, as would the ability to read and speak Arabic.