Senior Core Software Developer
Glasgow, UKCompany Overview :
On any given day, every moment matters to someone, somewhere. And every moment, Motorola Solutions’ innovations, products and services play essential roles in people’s lives. We help firefighters see around buildings and police officers see around street corners. We keep utility workers connected and visible to each other with real-time voice and data communication across the smart grid. And we provide the situational awareness first responders need when a moment brings catastrophe. We help people be their best in their moments that matter.Department Description :
Airwave, a Motorola Solutions company, delivers mission critical voice and data communications to organisations that provide vital public services – the police, fire and ambulance services, local authorities, health, utilities and transport providers.
The Airwave Network is the first public service network in the world to offer secure, seamlessly integrated communications between emergency services and other emergency responders, and has made Great Britain a world leader in the delivery of critical communications services.
Airwave continuously evolves to deliver innovation through a clear technology roadmap, ensuring that Great Britain’s emergency services have access to world-leading capabilities. More than a third of Great Britain’s police forces have taken a significant step towards paperless policing by equipping frontline police officers with Airwave’s specialised mobile data and applications technology.
The Pronto team is the largest supplier of mobile police apps in the UK, providing software to over a third of the UK’s 45 police forces, which is used by tens of thousands of police officers on a daily.
The Pronto team is based in the West End of Glasgow and currently has around 50 employees. The team started as Kelvin Connect in 2002, a spin-out company from the University of Glasgow. Now, as part of Motorola Solutions, we continue to expand with future opportunities both in the UK and beyond.
Within the Pronto team the Pronto Core Development department creates the core Pronto technologies and tools. These are then configured by the Pronto Delivery Department to tailor the product to each individual customer’s needs.Job Description :
You will work as part of the Pronto Core Development team, developing our Pronto software suite. This suite includes:
- Sophisticated mobile data applications running on a range of mobile devices: Android, Windows Phone and Windows tablets.
- Server components that communicate with the mobile client, storing captured data and integrating with third party systems.
- A web based Pronto manager which managing captured data and administering Pronto.
- A configuration tool used by the Pronto delivery team, to configure Pronto to support each individual customer’s workflows and requirements.
Working as a senior software developer in an agile Scrum team you will be involved in:
- Continuing to support our existing customers, adapting the product to meet their evolving needs.
- Integrating Pronto with other Motorola Solutions software components, creating a richer, more powerful integrated solution.
Basic Requirements :
- Migrating Pronto to a Cloud First, multi-tenant, microservice based architecture.
The ideal Senior Core Software Developer will hold the following skills and experiences:
- A formal qualification (Degree) in Computing Science or equivalent experience with a high level of academic achievement.
- Significant experience of development of complex software products, including:
Cloud based applications
- Significant demonstrated experience with industry best-practices, including Agile methodologies, test driven development and code reviews.
- Significant experience architecting, designing and implementing large pieces of reliable, scalable complex software.
- Experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other developers.
- Significant experience with a range of the following core technologies:
- Significant experience of cloud tools and technologies and processes, such as Docker, Amazon Web Services, Kubernetes, Prometheus, REST APIs and microservice architectures.
- Experience of the following technologies would also be of benefit
Android software development tools and processes
Web frameworks: GWT, AngularJSThe successful candidate will need to undergo UK security vetting for this position. This will involve:
- Completion of a security clearance questionnaire by the candidate
- Checking identity documents and employment/education/references/residency in the UK (a minimum of 5 years)
- Checks against UK criminal and security records
- A credit reference check;
- If considered necessary, checks against the criminal and security records of relevant foreign countries.