Conducts inspections of materials using various laboratory testing equipment, and assists in record-keeping, SPC data, cross-training, and ordering supplies as necessary.
- Communicate (written/verbal) with internal customers giving clear, concise instructions and/or directions.
- Collect, prepare and analyze calibration, routine, and special (non-standard) samples of metal alloys.
- Select/order required consumables/research, recommend and justify new parts, equipment and/or methods.
- Troubleshoot and maintain laboratory equipment.
- Follow specifications and procedures as presented.
- Sequence various job tasks together in an organized manner for maximum work benefit.
Typical Duties and Tasks:
- Regular attendance
- Conduct particle size and property measurement of powders using the following tests: Sieve analysis, Sub-Sieve analysis, Hall Flow, Apparent density, Tap density
- Conduct hardness tests using: Rockwell, Superficial and Micro-Hardness testers.
- Perform analysis on sample to determine oxygen, nitrogen, carbon & sulfur content using required instrumentation.
- Prepare and submit samples for chemical analysis using a sintering furnace and button melter.
- Perform calibration of sieves and hardness testers using standard reference materials.
- Perform calibration of nitrogen/oxygen and carbon/sulfur apparatus on a daily basis.
- Daily analysis of samples including acceptance and rejection of material to specification.
- Perform calibration of Sub-sieve Analysis apparatus as required.
- Write procedures and practices as required.
- Train others for back-up in job responsibilities.
- Keep laboratory neat, clean and orderly.
- Perform any and all other duties of a similar nature and character as duties above which management may deem necessary, in writing or verbally, at its discretion, as requested or directed.
Qualifications and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED, above average mathematical skills, and a mechanical aptitude.
- 2 years’ experience in similar laboratory environment.
- Effective communication skills; written and verbal, and good penmanship.