back to job list
Engineering Director - Ball and Gate Valve Industry - Mezzago, Italy
Mezzago, Monza e Brianza, Italy
Engineering Director - Ball and Gate Valve Industry
- Basic Function -
The Engineering director is responsible for managing and leading multiple teams of global on/off valve LPO and SPO engineers and drafters. This person owns and drives the design and owns the engineering support for manufacturing of FCO on/off valve Products. The engineering director leads the LPO efforts of the Valbart, Serck Audco, Nordstrom, and Vogt Products. The director of On/Off valve engineering reports directly to the FCO Director of Engineering and is a matrix report to the On/off valve General Manager. This director must have excellent global communication skills to interface with multiple factories located globally across the world. They also must work seamlessly with the FCO sales, product management, product development, engineering and operations. Direct involvement with customers and end users will be necessary to develop strong customer relationships. The director must possess proven leadership capability and a strong technical background with ball, plug, butterfly, rising stem, ball control, butterfly and API 6D gate valves, as well as the actuation of those valve products. The director is responsible to retain and attract top talent, support training and development of engineers, and manage the performance of all of the on/off engineering teams globally. (Mezzago, Haywards Heath, MM Nagar, China, Sulphur Springs, GTEC Bangalore etc.)
- Nature and Scope -
• Develop and maintain an engineering organization capable of supporting the needs of on/off valve operations and R&D activities in alignment with the strategies and priorities of the business.
• Manage the on/off engineering headcount in alignment with capacity requirements to support the demands of the business.
• Manage a direct staff of 7 to 9 Engineering Managers and an overall global staff of 80 to 100 people with a $3.5 to $4 M budget.
- Principal Accountabilities -
• Drive a culture within the engineering function based on customer focus, ethics, and a strong commitment to continuous improvement and safety.
• Lead the engineering team to ensure that the annual operating plan is achieved and engineered solutions are aligned to business requirements and are customer-centric.
• Provide technical and thought leadership to the engineering team and on a cross-functional basis.
• Ensure product safety and regulatory compliance through implementation of rigorous design control procedures and protocols across the business.
• Through adherence to engineering standards and processes, ensure quality, reliability, and market competitiveness in all product designs and their application.
• Support development and certification of Lead Product Operations (LPO) for all core ON/Off Products. Support successful deployments of those products to Secondary Product Operations (SPO) ensuring all appropriate product and engineering standards are complied with consistently on a global basis.
• Contribute to the development of short and long range product R&D plans aligned with overall business strategy and ensure these plans are implemented as agreed upon to deliver the committed ROI.
• Collaborate with the corporate technology group to identify commercial opportunities for new technologies that may provide competitive advantage in our targeted markets.
• Develop leadership and engineering talent through recruiting, development and programs aimed at engagement and retention to ensure sustainability of key technical competencies and capability.
• Manage and achieve department, R&D, and other projects as may be assigned in alignment with the FCO annual operating plan (AOP).
• Work collaboratively with the Global Engineering leadership to define engineering standardization opportunities that will increase engineering productivity and decrease engineering cycle time, effort and costs across the enterprise.
• Champion the implementation and adoption of standard engineering best practice tools and processes throughout the FCO engineering organization.
• Act as an effective change agent, driving adoption and long-term acceptance of target engineering transformations based on strategy, practices, procedures and systems.
- Principal Responsibilities -
• Work with ON/OFF and FCO Engineering leadership to develop a 1 to 5 year strategy for the development of the On/off engineering team to meet the anticipated needs of the business.
• Oversee the preparation of RCCP charts to drive the management of On/off engineering capacity while fostering a culture of engineering resource management driven through RCCP.
• Oversee the preparation of engineering performance metrics to track performance, identify gaps, and establish a process of continuous improvement.
• Drive effective usage of the GTEC-Bengaluru pump engineering team to fully leverage their value as a flexible source of engineering capacity.
• Facilitate the effective execution of the On/off valve portfolio of R&D projects ensuring that the scope of the projects is aligned with business needs and that FCO engineering resources are allocated as necessary to support the project schedule.
• Represent the interests of On/off valve engineering for FCO engineering and to the rest of the Global Engineering leadership team in the identification, definition and execution of engineering standardization programs.
• Partner with Operations, Sales, Quality Assurance and other stakeholders as necessary to provide customer centric and highly responsive support to resolve product performance issues in the field.
• Establish and administer effective processes to identify, develop and leverage specialist skillsets across the On/off valve engineering organization to meet business needs in a timely manner.
• B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or similar technical degree with a M.S. in Engineering or Engineering Management preferred
• Minimum 10 years of industrial experience with at least 5 years demonstrated experience in a senior management position over technical staff within the ball and gate valve industry
• Must be self-starting and have motivational skills and a high sense of urgency to drive and execute production and development schedules.
• Interpersonal skills are critical for optimum communication with internal and external customers.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and must be Fluent in English verbally as well as in written communication
• Ability to produce professional engineering reports and presentations. They must also be able to deliver these presentations to management teams, industry committees, employees and customers
• Excellent time management and organization skills
• Strong analytical, problem solving with a demonstrated ability to apply technology to creatively solve problems and meet business and stakeholder needs.
• Strong project management skills with demonstrated success in effectively leading complex projects involving cross-functional and global teams.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and manage strong team, customer, and internal relationships including a history of developing collaborative relationships.
• Strong oral and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to compose concise reports and presentations.
• Demonstrated ability to accomplish key results through influence.
• Proven ability to adapt to changing organizational environment and business needs.
• Demonstrated ability to lead geographically dispersed teams with culturally diverse membership
• Strong leadership skills with a demonstrated commitment to staff development through mentoring and coaching
• Willingness to travel from base to plant facilities and customer locations with travel requirements of up to 40%.
Flowserve is the recognized world leader in supplying pumps, valves, seals, automation, and services to the power, oil, gas, chemical, and other industries. With more than 18,000 employees in more than 55 countries, we combine our global reach with a local presence.
Email this job description