Materials Manager – New Market, VA
The Materials Manager provides professional managerial and leadership skills for supply chain management in the steel tool value stream. This position embodies the standard and sets the example for what is expected of a leader in the organization, particularly with respect to communicating, building capability in people, and advancing a high performance culture. The position is a key decision-maker and agenda-setter for the integrated supply chain disciplines of the global value stream, including manufacturing. The position involves a high expectation of being a key adviser to the Industrial Business top management.
The Materials Manager works under the general supervision of the Plant Manager. Performs in an environment of high autonomy relative to most activities. Long-range goals are monitored monthly.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in business or related discipline with a minimum of 5 years of experience in manufacturing, including the areas of MRP, shop floor control and master scheduling.
- A thorough knowledge of product costing, budget planning, Profit & Loss forecasting/variance analysis is necessary. Must also be knowledgeable in routings, SOX compliance and B.O.M. applications.
- An in depth understanding of functions and features of computer-based MRP systems (SAP preferred) is highly desired.
- Must possess strong interpersonal and communicative skills and be a trainer and coordinator of systems and corporate initiatives.
- APICS certification preferred.
- Additionally, the successful candidate will also have Supervisory skills with documented experience.
- Leads and supervises the development of production/capacity plans and raw materials requirements for manufacturing plant in conjunction with Global Logistics Supply which results in the development of daily manufacturing schedules. The creation of the production schedules should take into consideration; product orders, equipment capacities, work load leveling, lead times through production and international shipping, optimal productivity; minimizing raw material, semi-finished and work in process inventory, the inclusion of preventive maintenance with information provided by the maintenance department, and forecasts provided by the Global Logistics Supply group.
- Assure that system integrity is maintained; overseeing the development and maintenance of routings and BOMs to ensure proper standard costing and consumption of materials. Analyze operations variances consulting with appropriate team members to validate and make appropriate changes
- Directs material planning efforts to ensure that the quantity and quality of raw materials, and the sequence of raw material deliveries will allow the meeting of the production due dates. These efforts also include, at a minimum, keeping raw material inventory dollars as low as possible and actively pursuing supplier programs to aid in these efforts. Assures the manufacturing operations effectively produces and ships to support timely delivery to customers, while maintaining proper inventory levels and turns.
- Communicates to internal and external customers. Acts of voice of the manufacturing plant, communicating impediments to production due dates, unscheduled equipment downtime, timeliness of starts, raw material shortages, and resequencing of materials in queues. Develops and maintains an atmosphere of mutual trust, respect, and positive employee relations. Is expected to be a role model in both formal and informal communication behavior. Trains and develops skilled employees not just in own job function but across the business. Participates in, supports, and is a role model for employee training through coaching for improvement, providing technical instruction, cross training, and encouraging participation in formal and informal educational opportunities, as well as company sponsored training programs.
- Provides analysis and information concerning present and future operations performance, ability to seize business opportunities, and potential to mitigate business risks and competitive threats. Maintains a reputation for having a high business acumen and being a trusted leader.