This position works under the supervision of the department manager.
Most areas of responsibility are reviewed on a weekly basis. Monthly
reports are prepared and submitted to the Manager to report progress on
insert manufacturing, quality improvements, and related projects which
support the key accountability and objectives of the Roanoke Rapids
Manufacturing Plant. Informal updates on plant specific issues are
provided as required. Major goals and projects are reviewed with the
department manager at least once per year.
- Continuous improvement of process and equipment resulting in an increase of productivity and a decrease in manufacturing cost.
- Design, manufacturing and/or specification of tooling and equipment
to support production needs. This includes obtaining quotes for
outside services, machine parts, tooling, and equipment.
- Written procedures and specifications to control manufacturing and quality of metalcutting inserts.
- Transition of products and processes from Technology or other manufacturing plants.
- Installation of new and/or rebuild equipment in manufacturing.
1. Understand and acknowledge day to day responsibilities for
environmental, health and safety, develop action plans resulting from
EHS surveys or audits and periodically meet with or provide progress
reports to the incumbent’s supervisor, the EHS administrator or the
Plant Manager regarding fulfillment of EHS responsibilities.
2. Plan and complete engineering projects under the direction of the
Department Manager. Specific responsibilities will vary depending on
the nature of the project; however, the manufacturing engineer will be
expected to perform the following:
- Develop formal project plans that include action items and completion dates.
- Provide direction to both internal and external resources to ensure timely completion of project steps
- Secure funding for major purchases through the preparation of AFE’s, including economic justification
- Plan the layout and direct the installation of new or rebuilt equipment
- Conduct process qualification studies for equipment to verify process capability
- Provide operator training
- Design, specify and/or implement tooling, equipment and processes to reduce setup time and improve productivity
- Participate in continuous improvement projects
3. Provide maintenance support for the department and plant as needed
- Provide direction to both internal and external resources to maintain existing equipment
- Troubleshoot equipment
- Write preventive maintenance procedures
4. Customer Service
- Resolve customer technical issues
- Support the transition of new products and processes