Kennametal offers great careers in a broad range of disciplines. Our invaluable competitive edge is our people. That’s why our essential objective is to hire the best person we can find for every Kennametal position, in every area of our business operations, across all of our global locations. Due to our ongoing success and growth, we seek individuals in a wide range of disciplines, from technical to sales to corporate support.
This position reports to the Roanoke Rapids Plant Manager. This position requires limited supervision.Reports are issued to update Plant and Division Management on quality and production related key performance indicators written daily/weekly/monthly/yearly. Activities related to shop operations and maintenance are reviewed at staff meetings, production meeting, or as needed. Reports are prepared and submitted to the Plant Manager to assist with monitoring progress on major quality, production, improvement programs, and manpower needs in all production areas of the facility including, but not limited to; insert manufacturing, productivity improvements, manpower, work flow, and related projects. Informal updates on plant specific issues are provided to the Plant Manager as required. Periodic reviews with the Plant Manager take place at daily and weekly intervals and as assessments are needed. Major goals and projects are reviewed with the Plant Manager on a monthly basis.
- Direct and manage activities of the plant’s Manufacturing operations which include, but not limited to; production order entry, pressing, sintering, grinding, honing, coating, shipping, etc. Organize and direct departmental resources to ensure that production requirements are met and that all customer quality, on-time delivery, and lead-times reduction goals are achieved. To the extent that all customer requirements are not met, establish and implement continuous improvement plans. Establish department goals and metrics, evaluate progress, and initiate corrective and preventive actions to ensure ongoing improvements to operations.
- Manage, Lead, Coach and support manufacturing supervisors as needed to insure that plant metrics are being met, production problems are being addressed, and the performance of production employees are being effectively managed and supported. Be a model of positive and pro-active leadership for salaried and hourly employees.
- Implement and/or participate in continuous improvement projects such as value stream mapping, lead time reduction, 5S+1, throughput improvement and other lean manufacturing projects to remove unnecessary waste from the manufacturing processes.
- Understand and acknowledge day to day responsibilities for environmental, health and safety, help to develop action plans resulting from EHS surveys or audits and periodically meet with or provide progress reports to EHS administrator or Plant Manager regarding fulfillment of EHS responsibilities.
- Ensure that quality system procedures related to manufacturing operations are effectively implemented and that any non-compliances are corrected in a timely manner.
- Plan and direct the activities of all production related departments also including support for materials and engineering, such that operation procedures are effectively implemented and that any non-compliances are covered in a timely manner.
- Evaluate and provide staffing and equipment needs. Participate in the development of department and plant Manufacturing and Capital Plans plus salary plans for exempt and A&T personnel.
- Implement and/or participate in various projects such as new product introduction, process improvements/rearrangements, ACE projects, training programs, and employee involvement programs.
- Provide the primary contact with Corporate Technology, Corporate Resources, and Corporate Purchasing (raw materials) for development and support needs in ceramics and carbide.
- Implement and monitor training programs for salaried and hourly employees, including self-preparation for next level promotion
- Support EHS and Maintenace Management towards meeting our goals for EHS, TPM, and general areas associated with that functio
- A Bachelor of Science degree in a technical field or a minimum of 6 years of experience in a manufacturing environment;
- Experience must included Lean manufacturing, Kata, or continuous improvement manufacturing experience.
- Preferred experience in leading continuous improvement team based activities.
- Minimum three years’ proven supervisory experience in a manufacturing environment.