Environmental Risk Technical Expert
Date published: 1-Aug-2018
For more details, please kindly connect: firstname.lastname@example.org
• To provide technical expertise and advice on environmental risk assessment and/or environmental safety studies to support the achievement of regulatory targets in China. To support ES platform in delivery of local risk assessment and studies to meet the increased technical requirements in the country. To work with global platform and local Reg team in supporting advocacy and influence activities to address technical questions of products and promote Syngenta’s positions in China. Support the local ES team and global platform to implement the sourcing and science strategy needed for China and ensure effective support from the global platform resource.
• As an expert in the field of environmental safety manage/conduct ES tasks in supporting China registration programme with particular emphasis on risk assessment and local higher tier studies. Provide inputs to the design of new or unfamiliar studies and assessments in China; Be responsible for managing complex studies or programmes
• Work with the local Syngenta businesses and with internal ES experts, to deploy appropriate strategies for ES work programmes in support of the China business. Manage placement and delivery of externally contracted work in support of projects. Provide technical input to project stage gates and governance etc.
• Participate and contribute in key discussions with external regulatory agencies and other stakeholders to negotiate issues on the acceptability of results and procedures for compounds under review. Develops links with other parts of the company and the industry and introduces new development of data requirements and regulations in China to the platform.
• Prepares/reviews the work/reports and makes recommendations for further work, taking into account regulatory and technical implications both within China and globally
• Work with regional/country teams and technical platform to define and solve key scientific and technical problems, particularly on the design/use/ interpretation of data. Developing networks of relevant scientists in the region, in order to provide a broadly based scientific input to aspects of Efate/Ecotoxicology and Risk Assessment.
• Attends multi-disciplinary project meetings, will give demanding presentations advocating Syngenta ES/PS positions, sometimes on request from outside organisations.
Contribute to the strategy to manage existing and upcoming ES relating regulatory issues by understanding the changing regulatory environments in China.
Critical success factors & key challenges
• Specify, lead and deliver significant projects in ecotoxicology/Efate and/or risk assessment for Environmental Safety using established regulatory approaches and where necessary novel approaches
• Maintain and build scientific credibility internally and externally in a major area of Environmental science.
Knowledge, experience & capabilities
• At least Master’s degree or above, plant protection and environmental protection relevant majors preferred
• Minimum 3 years of full time working experience in plant protection and environmental protection filed
• Technically trained to a high level in an Ecotoxicology/Efate or Environmental risk assessment field through a combination of education and work experience. Significant experience in analysing and utilizing complex data to support product approvals.
• Experience of advocating technically robust positions internally and with regulatory authorities.
• Strong influencing skills and the ability to achieve through others are key requirements
• Experience of technical project leadership in Environmental Science.
• Significant experience in conducting and interpreting ecological effect or Environmental fate exposure studies and utilizing the data in risk assessments
• Experience in making and justifying interpretations of complex data bases for chemicals and across groups of related chemicals.
Critical technical, leadership and personal capabilities
• Skilfully plans, organizes and monitors performance to meet deadlines
• Inspire and engage with stakeholders and external audiences
• Capable of high level technical judgement
• Ability to build networks
• Senses and adapts to the changing environment to achieve excellence in delivery
• Creative problem solving/interpretation skills
• Excellent Advocacy and influencing skills
• Works independently