Downstream Processing Scientist
Berkshire-Bracknell, Bracknell, Berkshire, United Kingdom
Date published: 25-Apr-2017
Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to transform how crops are grown. We are committed to rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
Working within the Downstream Processing team, this position is laboratory based and focuses on providing large scale protein production to support Syngenta’s novel trait research and development projects.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop and optimise downstream processes for purifying different recombinant proteins from E.coli.
- Work independently to combine personal technical expertise, in-house knowledge and literature searching to identify appropriate approaches for recombinant protein production from E.coli, from initial small-scale expression scaling up to large scale production.
- Ensure proteins are delivered to specification and within agreed timelines.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues in an efficient manner ensuring very high customer focus.
- Have the ability to produce and accurately record all results to agreed company standards. Summarise and communicate the significance of the data in a variety of mediums to ensure it is understood and influences own team and external stakeholders.
- Work safely and compliantly within Syngenta HSE policies.
- Develop and expand their knowledge of own scientific discipline through reading and attendance of courses and external meetings.
- Contribute to and potentially manage external projects delivered through 3rd parties.
Education & experience required:
- Bachelor degree in Biochemistry or related discipline or equivalent work experience.
- Practical experience of E. coli as a protein expression host.
- Excellent grounding in different protein purification techniques. Practical experience of different chromatography techniques along with experience of protein refolding.
- Use of automated chromatography equipment (e.g. AKTA machines) is essential as is experience with high flow-rate equipment (e.g. AKTA Pilot, Bioprocessor skids).
- Extensive experience of different filtration processes (e.g. TFF, depth filtration) and equipment (e.g. AKTA Crossflow) is desirable.
- Experience with packing chromatography columns especially large scale is desirable.
Syngenta will offer:
- Competitive salary
- Good benefits scheme
- Large campus environment with good employee facilities
Interviews planned for early May, therefore please don't delay in applying
G06-Jealotts Hill Int. Research Cen
Jealotts Hill Int. Research Cen
Bracknell RG42 6EY