Ontologist - Jealott's Hill, UK
Bracknell RG42 6EY, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Date published: 20-Jun-2016
Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to transform how crops are grown. We are committed to rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
Our R&D engine is increasingly using new in-silico approaches in a high-tech response to the needs of progressive farmers. Our Data Sciences team are used to operating in a data-driven and connected world to bring innovative data solutions into the hands of Syngenta scientists.
We are looking for an Information Architect or Ontologist to help R&D become an in-silico research and development organization, making data-driven decisions. This is the time for someone with the right skills and experience to join R&D IS Data Sciences to support this transformation. This opportunity would suit someone who is looking to play a key role in changing data culture and working in the R&D IS organisation with talented individuals in a dynamic industry.
- A key role in leading inter-domain data sharing and reuse for Syngenta R&D and its collaborators.
- Working with a range of subject matter experts in a dynamic industry, that is embracing new technologies
- Able to provide leadership on technologies and operational delivery for data integration and data management
- Can lead and work with a team of data specialists and scientists enabling Syngenta innovation through the use of data
- Familiar with information classification approaches such as taxonomy and ontologies
- Knowledge of semantic Web/Linked Data approaches and technologies and an understanding of where they are appropriate
- Related experience in Ontology development
- Experience in administration, deployment, extraction and upload of data, RDF triple stores, and other NoSQL databases.
- Familiar with relational to RDF mapping technologies such as D2RQ and R2RML
- Experience with programming languages, such as Python, Java, .Net.
- An ability to focus on delivery to meet client needs.
Syngenta will offer:
- Campus environment
- Competitive benefits package
- The opportunity to work with highly qualified and experienced employees