Protein Scientist (Downstream Processing)
Jealott's Hill, Berkshire-Bracknell, United Kingdom
Date published: 4-Aug-2017
Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to transform how crops are grown. We are committed to rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
An exciting new opportunity for a Downstream Processing Scientist within the Protein Science group has become available. Working within the Downstream Processing team, this position is laboratory based and focuses on providing protein production to support Syngenta’s novel trait research and development projects.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop and optimise downstream processes for purifying different recombinant proteins from E.coli.
- Work independently to combine personal technical expertise, in-house knowledge and literature searching to identify appropriate approaches for recombinant protein production from E.coli, from initial small-scale expression scaling up to large scale production.
- Ensure proteins are delivered to specification and within agreed timelines.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues in an efficient manner ensuring very high customer focus.
- Have the ability to produce and accurately record all results to agreed company standards. Summarise and communicate the significance of the data in a variety of mediums to ensure it is understood and influences own team and external stakeholders.
- Work safely and compliantly within Syngenta HSE policies.
- Develop and expand their knowledge of own scientific discipline through reading and attendance of courses and external meetings.
Education & experience required:
- Bachelor degree in Biochemistry or related discipline or equivalent work experience.
- Practical protein expression experience in E.coli.
- Excellent grounding in different protein purification techniques together with practical experience of different chromatography techniques.
- Use of automated chromatography equipment (e.g. AKTA machines) is desirable.
- Experience of different filtration processes (e.g. TFF, depth filtration) and equipment is desirable.
- Experience with packing chromatography columns is preferred
Syngenta will offer:
- Competitive salary
- Good benefits scheme
- 31.5 days annual leave
- Large campus environment with good employee facilities including onsite gym, fitness classes and onsite restaurant
G06-Jealotts Hill Int. Research Cen
Jealotts Hill Int. Research Cen
Bracknell RG42 6EY