Environmental Mathematical Modeller
Jealott's Hill, Jealotts Hill, United Kingdom
Date published: 1-Mar-2017
Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources more sustainably. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to transform how crops are grown. We are committed to rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
About this job
This is an exciting role supporting Syngenta’s expanding portfolio of world class products. The successful candidate will use and develop mathematical models and associated environmental fate data as input into risk assessments to support the successful development of Syngenta products across the product lifecycle.
They may lead the Environmental Safety input into projects and will actively contribute to the development of the scientific and technical capabilities of Environmental Safety and the continuous improvement of the organisation and its staff.
Internal and externally facing the individual will:
- Work with internal stakeholders across disciplines and organizational boundaries to develop integrated environmental fate and risk assessment positions and advocate these to project teams, partners and internal stakeholders.
- Use, develop and apply current predictive models to calculate environmental exposures and provide information for regulatory use or to aid exploratory, development and business decisions.
- Develop new models and approaches to further the science of environmental exposure calculation
- Represent the Company in meetings with external regulatory agencies to discuss and address their questions and concerns.
- Present company research and positions at scientific conferences.
- Deliver high level science inputs to business teams and the Product Safety organization to support the management of technical issues.
- Highly numerate and computer literate with the ability to understand a diverse range of scientific subjects quickly.
- Capable of integrating complex data sets to develop credible technical positions and effectively advocating these to diverse internal and external stakeholders.
- Can manage project risks and uncertainties in a changing environment and is comfortable with making the difficult decisions that result.
- Is able to lead and develop others and work across technical and organizational boundaries.
- Thinks creatively and solves problems.
Knowledge and experience
- Scientific Degree
- Able to demonstrate some or all of the following
- Track record of using mathematics and/or mathematical models to solve real-world problems particularly related to the environment.
- Excellent communication skills across a diverse range of backgrounds
- Some knowledge of the environmental risk assessment requirements and current EU and Global pesticide regulations would be advantageous.
Syngenta will offer:
Competitive benefits package
The opportunity to work with highly qualified and experienced employees
G06-Jealotts Hill Int. Research Cen
Jealotts Hill Int. Research Cen
Bracknell RG42 6EY