Head of Physical & Structural Chemistry - Jealott's Hill, UK
Jealott's Hill, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Date published: 20-Mar-2017
Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources more sustainably. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to transform how crops are grown. We are committed to rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
This is a new role leading a high performing Group of physical chemists and spectroscopists within Crop Protection Research Chemistry at Jealott’s Hill. The Physical and Structural Chemistry Group provide specialist measurements and analytical data, and deliver expert interpretation to influence active ingredient invention projects and functional teams across R&D.
This is a varied role, working with a broad range of internal stakeholders across functions and sites. The successful candidate will be responsible for technical and people leadership, operational and scientific excellence, managing workload priorities, developing the forward-looking strategy for the group, integrating with the wider Syngenta measurement science community and exploring external collaborative opportunities.
- Demonstrate technical leadership and contribute to problem solving – to support the current (highly experienced) group members in both Physical Chemistry and Structural Chemistry (spectroscopy) teams.
- Monitor and prioritise resource – to deliver timely support via measurements, delivery of interpreted data and expert consultancy for projects and key customer groups in R&D and Development.
- People development – lead the personal development of your team members and build effective links across functions to share opportunities for career progression.
- Innovation - propose, initiate and manage research projects and target innovative analytical solutions which enhance Syngenta’s technical capabilities and innovation potential.
- As a key member of the Chemistry Leadership Team, you will provide significant input in the definition of Crop Protection Research imperatives and strategy.
- Lead from the front in reinforcing Health & Safety standards, recognising and sharing best practice.
To be successful in this role the candidate should have:
- A suitable qualification in Chemistry, Analytical Science or related discipline to at least degree level or equivalent experience.
- Practical experience in analytical science or physical chemistry and its applications in the research and development of new bioactive molecules (for example drugs or agrochemicals).
- Knowledge of physical parameters and models required for the discovery and optimisation of bioactive molecules, for example DMPK in drug discovery.
- Experience of the application of physical and analytical methods to the solution of problems in R&D.
- Specific knowledge of key analytical and spectroscopic techniques, for example HPLC, UPLC, NMR and MS.
- A proven record of achievement in managing a team or group of scientists.
- Demonstrable experience of effective networking across and outside the organisation.
- Experience of working in, or managing, collaborations with external partners.
- Strategic thinking – an ability to formulate a vision and strategy for the Physical and Structural Chemistry Group, anticipating future demand and opportunities for innovation, including recruitment and development of staff.
- Ability to work under pressure, managing tight deadlines and demonstrating flexibility to changing customer requirements.
- Confident and effective oral and written communication.
- Passion to lead and motivate a group with an emphasis on talent development.
- Strong attention to detail and drive for continuous improvement as well as technical and operational excellence.
Syngenta will offer:
- A competitive salary
- Campus working environment
- Flexible benefit scheme
- State of the art physical chemistry and spectroscopy laboratory facilities
If you are looking for a challenging and varied leadership role we would love to hear from you, please apply online including a cover letter and your CV.
Primary Location: GBR-Berkshire-Bracknell
G06-Jealotts Hill Int. Research Cen
Jealotts Hill Int. Research Cen
Bracknell RG42 6EY