Cereals Doubled Haploid Lead - Jealott's Hill, UK
Jealotts Hill, Bracknell, Berkshire, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Date published: 19-May-2017
Cereals Doubled Haploid Lead - (1701284)
Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to transform how crops are grown. We are committed to rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
Based at our Jealotts Hill International Research and Development Site with responsibilities for the two teams at Jealotts Hill and Whittlesford, Syngenta are looking for a strong leader to provide leadership and direction to the Cereals Doubled Haploid operations teams. The successful candidate will plan and deliver the Cereals Doubled Haploid portfolio in line with budget according to global, regional and territory strategies.
- To be responsible for delivering the cereals doubled haploid (DH) portfolio at both the Jealott’s Hill and Whittlesford sites for Syngenta’s EAME wheat and barley breeding programmes.
- Accountable for the production process from receipt of donor seed from Seeds Product Development breeding stakeholders, through all tissue culture stages to coordinating the transfer of DH material to breeding teams, ensuring standard operating procedures and risk assessments are available, regularly reviewed and aligned with global and regional processes.
- Liaise with key stakeholders and Seeds Product Development leaders to ensure that annual production is scheduled and delivered to the highest standards according to agreed targets, timelines and priorities. Understand stakeholder needs and communicate production expectations.
- To ensure that the production of DH material is maintained at agreed and budgeted levels.
- In consultation with the DH teams, engage in activity planning to ensure production priorities are accommodated.
- Ensure DH production tracking, data analysis files and seed lots are managed and maintained appropriately.
- Represent DH operations on the UK Seeds R&D Operations Leadership team.
- Manage and support Cell Biology (CB) and Nurseries team. Ensure that adequate training is provided for them to successfully deliver their role, while providing them with opportunities to develop their capabilities.
- Responsibility to ensure that challenging personal goals are set and agreed with the team. Ensure that personal development/career plans are constructed and supported.
- Manage the recruitment process to ensure leavers are adequately replaced.
Knowledge, experience and capabilities:
- Degree or equivalent in agricultural or biological science.
- Understanding of DH technology and the integration into and value to plant breeding programmes, along with an understanding of DH production systems and critical success factors.
- Knowledge of health and safety in laboratory & glasshouse environments. Awareness of growth and care requirements of cereals plant material in glasshouses and controlled environments.
- Good level of experience working in a plant science or similar environment.
- Experience leading and developing a team in a customer focussed environment is essential.
- Experience of budget management essential.
- Management of successful project management with proven results is essential.
- Experience of managing and delivering laboratory/glasshouse operations within Cereals crops is desirable.
- Experience of presenting project updates is desirable.
Syngenta will offer:
- The opportunity to grow with the world's leading Agribusiness company, operating within a challenging international business environment.
- An open, supportive, and collaborative working culture.
- Great opportunities for personal development and career progression.
- A permanent, fulltime role, based on-site at our Jealotts Hill Campus, Bracknell, England.
Competitive + benefits
Primary Location: GBR-Berkshire-Bracknell
G06-Jealotts Hill Int. Research Cen
Jealotts Hill Int. Research Cen
Bracknell RG42 6EY