Global Procurement Manager Engineering and Capital - Manchester, UK
Manchester, Lancashire, United Kingdom
Date published: 4-May-2017
Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to transform how crops are grown. We are committed to rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
To support our ambition, Syngenta has established a Global Operations Centre in Manchester, UK, enabling operations (including Supply Chain as well as Procurement) and providing key business services covering IT, Project & Process management and Service Excellence.
You will be part of a team that works collaboratively across our global business, developing innovative tools and technology and delivering essential services and solutions to the company.
Joining the Global Operations Centre, you will have the opportunity to drive major business initiatives, support our internal and external customers and enable Syngenta to operate more productively.
About this job:
The successful candidate will join the Global Engineering, Utilities Waste & Capital Procurement team as a Sub-Category Manager working within the Syngenta Global Sourcing team. The purpose of this role is the leadership of select global Engineering Categories while also developing & supporting procurement strategies for select Capital Projects, including providing close functional and strategic direction to a geographically dispersed group of regional Sub-Category Managers and Business Partners. The successful candidate will run with the development, validation, and sustainable implementation of assigned Sub-Category strategies ensuring close alignment with business requirements. Working closely with the Procurement Category Management and Business Partner organisations, the successful candidate will ensure business requirements are clearly understood and considered within the strategies. The successful candidate will also be responsible for providing expert external supply market knowledge across the Categories and also the management of risk with third parties as well as achieving operational compliance across procurement activities relevant to the Categories and Capital Projects.
• Provision of functional and strategic direction, coaching and motivation to a team of regional Sub-Category Managers and Business Partners dispersed throughout Syngenta.
• By analysis of spend, detailed understanding of the supply market and internal business requirements, develop and deliver the Sub-Category strategies and capital project procurement strategies obtaining Global Category Manager approval plus the support of regional Category Management & Business Partner organizations and their business clients
• Contribute to the global category strategy which includes details of all Sub-Category strategies
• Build strong relationships with the regional Procurement Category Management & Business Partner organisations to ensure appropriate strategies are developed and implemented.
• Lead multifunctional/multinational sourcing teams and projects to deliver contracts or agreements that are aligned with the Category strategy and deliver the agreed savings and benefits.
• Develop and manage relationships with key suppliers including leading significant negotiations
• Ownership verification & agreement of actual financial performance of the Sub-Categories and Capital Projects, including agreement and verification of savings & benefit delivery, budget & forecast data.
• Be an Ambassador of the Procurement organisation
• Develop, implement and manage an SRM program appropriate to the requirements of the Sub-Categories
• Directly manage strategic and critical supplier relationships where appropriate
• Manage contract performance
Essential Knowledge& Experience:
• Capability in developing sourcing strategies and leading the implementation
• Good knowledge of purchasing procedures and processes, and solid knowledge of external trends and best practice.
• Leadership of complex sourcing projects and capital project procurement
• Ability to develop performance measures for Sub-Categories
• Deep knowledge of the relevant supply markets
• Strategy development and implementation
• Development of strategic relationships with suppliers
• Ability to influence peers and indirectly managed teams
• Strong procurement experience in a senior procurement role
Preferred Knowledge& Experience:
• Project team leadership (geographically dispersed and cross-functional)
• Procurement of engineering project equipment and services
• Proven record of success in negotiations with suppliers
• Experience working in a multi-national, multi-cultural environment
• Good communication and presentation competencies
• Additional language, preferably French and/or German, would be an advantage but not necessary
• Bachelors' degree or equivalent
Additional important information:
• Full time
• Based in Manchester
• Occasional international travel will be required.
• Incumbent must be able to lead a Virtual Team
• Working hours flexible to suit time zone differences