Senior Chemistry Group Leader - Stein, Switzerland
Stein, Stein, Switzerland
Date published: 27-Jul-2017
The Chemistry Group is responsible for the design and synthesis of new active ingredients for testing as potential new fungicides/insecticides within Stage 1 of the CPR pipeline. The role of a Senior Group Leader Chemistry in the Fungicide or Insecticide Indication is to lead all chemistry activities carried out in the group in support of fungicide/insecticide research:
- To actively lead and inspire a group of scientists in the successful delivery of crop protection research projects into development, using extensive experience of managing significant projects and proven expertise in synthetic organic chemistry.
- Contribute to strategic initiatives in Crop Protection Research.
- To build close and effective co-operation with other R&D functions.
- May represent Chemistry on Fungicide or Insecticide Portfolio Team (F-RPT, I-RPT) to ensure the focus of research efforts are on business-critical targets.
- To build and maintain indication expertise, and be recognised for this both internally and within our industry.
- To develop individuals for progression within Crop Protection Research and the broad Syngenta organization.
- Manages and leads a group of > 20-30 scientists to deliver key Crop Protection Research targets. Has responsibility for 5-8 Team Leaders as direct reports and 15-25 indirect reports.
- Ensures delivery of all aspects of research chemistry to support the promotion of research candidates to development.
- May be responsible for Chemistry resource allocation to Fungicide/Insecticide Projects in line with project needs and RPT priorities.
- Work closely with other Group Leaders and Platform Leads to secure adequate chemistry support for fungicide/insecticide projects, e.g. KiloLab, Process Research, Computational Chemistry, PhysChem
- Ensures staff and personal development of all group members, including Syngenta Fellows to build and maintain international functional excellence.
- Responsible for ensuring the recruitment of high caliber people to maintain/improve talent pool.
- May represents the Fungicide/Insecticide Chemistry function in strategic collaborations.
- May lead significant (international) projects or other global activities.
- Responsible for ensuring staff understand and follow the Syngenta HSE policy and strive for continuous improvement of the HSE performance.
- Maximize efficiency and output of existing CRO partnerships, evaluate potential new partners.
Knowledge, experience & capabilities
- Has a degree and PhD in Chemistry and additional experience in a life science research environment.
- Broad business, indication and scientific knowledge, beyond individual’s direct area of science/expertise.
- Proven project management ability.
- Excellent communication skills, including fluency in English (both written and verbal).
- Proven track record of highly effective people management and scientific leadership for significant (international) projects.
- Minimum 5-10+ years in key research leadership roles.
- Experience of managing groups of >15-20 staff.
- Proven flexibility to manage teams or groups from different functions or within different areas of Crop Protection Research focus (e.g. synthesis, analytical, physical chemistry).
- A working knowledge of finance, budgeting and resource planning.
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities
- Must have strong chemical background and broad scientific credibility
- Must have excellent influencing, communication and networking skills to work effectively across scientific and business communities, both internally and externally
- Strong ability to set direction, liberate potential and drive results for individuals and teams
- Able to assimilate, evaluate and summarise complex data sets
- Able to prioritise own, and others, workload
- Strong desire to develop self and others
- Able to lead and manage change